Found this about the new version of Sharepoint – 2009. Exciting news!!
I am hoping for better performance, extended functions, improved CMS and well, the list is long!
Seems like they are developing the offline function – or rather – I know they are since I was interviewed by a developer at Microsoft regarding my experiences of using offline. And they are totally bad. Groove may work fine but I am not so impressed by it, to be honest. You have to learn Groove, and when you save a file it is saved in a folder – it does not tell you where in your portal the file belongs. I have tried some third part products like Syntergy, and they work quite well – I really hope Microsoft develop their own builtin solution in the next version.
These are some features in Sharepoint 2009 to look forward to 🙂
* SharePoint v4 will be able to render a greater set of Office documents in an HTML environment
* Knowledge Management
* More rich reporting tools over Record Management
* More rich features such like
– Print features
– Scan Documents (Shipped with the box IFilters to support more search over content)
– More support for Shell Commands
– Object Model more extendible and rich with SOA models.
– Master Data Management (designed to manage common reference data for systems through an enterprise)
– Extremely improved UI en UX (Think Tafiti, Silverlight)
– Deliver improved search relevancy
– Include tighter integration of unified communications, unified identity, and unified policy/compliance/support across all apps and for all devices
– Improve SharePoint’s offline capabilities.
– “14” will ONLY be released on a 64 bit platform. That is there will be no future 32 bit releases.
– Claims based authentication
– Better support on web 2.0
– Deeper unification of communications
– Content tagging/rating
– BI capabilities to business processes
– better management of complex documents and content
– a flexible storage solution for Digital Asset Management