Gert rid of those login prompts

This post belongs to my issue described here which I have not found a solution to yet. Except from one of the issues: the login prompts!
When you run a Vista client against your SharePoint site that you have installed on a Win Server 2008 then you are in trouble. First thing: dont run Vista, but if you do, then you will have the following issues:

1) you get three (!) login prompts when you want to open, edit or modify stuff on your site
2) you cannot map network drive
3) you cannot open a library in explorer view

But, yesterday I laborated and found that there is a solution to nr 1 – the login prompts. If you stop the WebClient service on your Vista client, add your site as a Local intranet in IE and set your LAN settings in IE to “Automatically detect settings”, the login prompts will disappear!!

If you don’t set your WebClient service to manual then you have to stop it each time you restart the PC so remember to turn it off and not just stop the service.

I will register a case at MS to find a solution for the other issues.

Unable to map a SharePoint site as a network drive

I am running WSS 3 on a Windows Server 2008 and want to map my site from ie Word or the explorer. But I get the message “Network path not found”:

Or if I try to map to it or if I run “Net use” from inside the command prompt. I get the following message:

“C:Userslise.rasmussen>net use x: http://xxx.com/Shared%20Documents/
Enter the user name for ‘xxx.com’: domainloginname
Enter the password for xxx.com:
System error 67 has occurred.
The network name cannot be found.”

So I cannot open my site directly from the Explorer (via Map Network drive) cause then I get this message (“The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please choose another”):

Or in Explorer View from SharePoint, then I get this message (“Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer”, and yes it is from the client, not the server):


I run a Windows Vista client, and the client service is installed. And one more thing, if I open a document from the site I get THREE login prompts before I can open the document. I can only press Esc but… how irritating isn’t that!!

The Desktop Experience is installed on the server, as well as WebDAV and it is rebooted. I also checked that the AAM is correct and can be reached from the server, check to that 🙂

Some blogs suggest that you update the Web Folders, but that are for really old browsers and stuff… Don’t want to do that this early. That will have to be a backup plan..

I googled it many times but have not found a solution that works for me…