Load balancing the certificates on a WSS may cause errors…

Which we found out when we tried to use load balancing for the https and certification. What we want to do is to let the load balancer redirect to any of the two frontend webservers, and not create the certificates directly onto the IIS sites (as usual). So we entered the https URL in the AAM, but we did not create a cert or activate the 443 port on the web application. But when we tried to access the https URL in our browser, we got two login prompts – the first against the https and then a login for the http URL! We changed every setting, tried different configurations, but still we could see in the logfiles that there was a redirect from incoming https to http! WTF? We even created a certificate on one of the IIS web apps just to be sure that the site was working. And that was no problem at all. Of course. No errors in configuration there 🙂 Got a mail from my collegue with a link that describes this error on MS site:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288609.aspx#section6

This is a part of the error description that MS gives on the link above:

“Note: Installing the Infrastructure Update for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 in a Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 farm that uses alternate access mappings with a reverse proxy or a network load balancer, such as in an extranet deployment, may cause some public URLs to become unresponsive. Microsoft is aware of this issue and is developing a solution. Before installing the Infrastructure Update for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, customers who use this configuration should use a test environment to verify that public URLs remain accessible after the update is installed. “

No wonder. The funny thing about this is that when you have installed the infrastructure update, – there is no return! You cannot remove it. (And you do want all updates when you install the server for sure.) So I think it is a bit late for “verify that public URLs remain accessible after the update is installed” once you’ve installed the update. Even on a test server…

In one week….. yeah yeah

Then I am off to – hopefully – a sunny weather with lots of SPA treatments! Jealous? Thought so… Well it is not the most exotic place to travel to, but wtf it’s a nice vacation and I just wanna sleep, eat, drink and party for a week. And forget about christmas! But, since we’re going to Playa Del Ingles (I know…), then you might expect people dancing around a xmas tree in the pool, right? I’ll bet they have a swedish xmas “julbord” as well… “There is no escape, and that’s for sure”!! The picture is from our hotel, looks nice yeah?

Menu customization in WSS

I activated flyout menus on a WSS site today, and everything works fine – except ONE thing.. Why is it always like that with Sharepoint that when you win some – you loose some?? I have branded the menu and before I activated flyouts, the selected menu (that is, the ACTIVE menu) was showing the right background image (a darker image). But after – and this is interesting – the selected menu does not display the “over” image but instead it is the “Home” menu that looks like the selected one. I wrote my own class in my css file to make it override but that did not effect the style so I probably have to explore the sp asp menu object a bit more…

Top navigation not loading in Safari

I got error reports that the Safari browser did not load the dropdown menus in SP top navigation menu. I use dropdown menus on a site that I have built on MOSS for a public web site (PF). It looked like this in the Safari browser:

As you can see, there is a large white area where the dropdown menus was supposed to be loaded. So I rebuilt the site and tried it in Safari, and all worked well. Since that was a bit strange, I started making comparisons. Turns out (after a couple of hours digging….) that it had to do with the IIS! Quite unexpected… I had two headers, one that had the SP port and one that used port 80. BUT on the port 80 no default header was entered, like the full hostname, so when I entered the URL to the site on the port 80 – magic! The dropdown menu was loaded and the site worked again:

How fast can you brand a site :)

Tonight I built a site definition with a brand new design for a WSS site, easy. Took me about three hours to rebuilt it totally – both the default.aspx and the core.css. Of course I didn’t edit the core.css, but called my file hardcore.css! I am used to work with MOSS and the master pages which is very straight forward and where you just enable publishing features on the site and get all the design elements by selecting your master page. With a site definition you have all the files in the 12 hive instead and put them all together in a definition package and activate them as a feature. Should be faster to load the design using site definition compared to loading a master page. What do you think??

Deep dive into InfoPath

I am on new and thrilling territories right now, not really sure what I am doing but it’s getting clearer and clearer… My mission is to place a button in an InfoPath form, with code behind that transforms the xml file into a PDF file and then inserts itself into a mail and of course – sends the mail 🙂 Easy I thought, someone must have done that before. Googled it, found one article. And I have tried to follow it, but since I am not a developer there were some “issues” that needed to be understood first. Finally I have produced some code thanks to VS, VSTA, Notepad (i love Notepad btw :)), and some hacking into web.config and other shit. So now, wow, tried to execute my code and – nothing happens. Or, something happens, but it just seems to reload or tries to run the code but no PDF is created. So I think I have to make sure that the dll files are listed in web.config and that my itext-dll is registered. To be continued, the whole code will be published here if I ever make it 🙂 I really miss my dev pro’s at work now….